Black diamonds are real diamonds that are simply black in color. Unlike colorless diamonds, they are opaque and shine-less. Black diamond contains traces of graphite, hematite and magnetite elements, which makes them look black. Unlike colorless diamonds, the 4Cs of assessing diamond quality: Color, cut, clarity and carat do not apply to black diamonds.
Black diamonds are highly sought after by people who are fond of rare stones. Considering the value and demand of these diamonds, it is very important to keep them clean. Follow the steps mentioned below to keep your black diamond clean:
Cleaning the Black Diamond
Make use of the following things:
- A flat dish,
- A toothbrush with soft spikes,
- Ammonia and
- A soft cloth.
- Soak the black diamond in hot water for 10-15 minutes so that any layer of oil or dirt loses its grip,
- Add thinned ammonia to 1/4th part of plain water; you can also buy a colored diamond cleaning solution that is available at many jewelry stores,
- Pour this solution in a flat dish pan and put the black diamond in it for nearly an hour. For best results, make sure that the black stone is completely drowned into the solution,
- After an hour, take out the diamond and clean it with the soft-spiked toothbrush. Clean all the sides of the stone to remove the dirt completely,
- Wash the diamond with pressured hot water to get rid of the remaining solution film on it,
- Buff up the stone using a soft cloth. Use a plain cloth to avoid getting any scratches on the black diamond.
The result will be a clean and dirt-less black diamond! If you are reluctant to clean it on your own, you can take it to a jewelry store and get it cleaned by an experienced individual before your eyes.
It is a good idea to keep your black diamond at a safe place, separate from other jewelry. This is because the contact of other jewelry pieces may damage the diamond, leaving scratches. You must take off your luxurious black diamond ring before getting into dirty household tasks; this will not only keep your diamonds clean but also long-lasting.